Friday, January 11, 2013

Dangerous Oil - Possets


Details:
Dangerous Oil

Notes:
Dark and heady, what even Madame X would wear if she had to be assured of a conquest. Dangerous Oil is infused with the finest of rare things. 6 musks from blackest black up through a rare and gorgeous in itself purple/blue musk hybrid. A good jolt of labdenum (sic) and an edge of cognac. The heart note is an entire chypre made only for this project and used for no other. There is a fresh and almost gardenia-like part to this (but there is no gardenia in it), it is not a floral but a resinous blend but there is a mesmerizing beauty to it.

Well, that’s a dramatic description of a perfume if ever I saw one. What I get in the vial and when first applied to the skin is musk. Musk, musk, musk. Very deep but not at all overpowering.

When it dries I get what does indeed smell a little like gardenia. It comes and goes and is hard to catch, but it’s there. I’m iffy about resins – a lot of the time I find them too masculine for my taste, but this perfume is darkly feminine and seductive. It’s what I’d call slinky. I say that because I would imagine someone like Lana Turner slinking around in this, twisting idiot men around her little finger, manipulating and scheming against everyone around her to get what she wants. It’s very film noir.

Sillage is strong - my apologies to anyone who had to come within 5 feet of me at work today. And it lasts for ages. I put it on at about 8am this morning and it's now 5:40pm and I can still smell it.

Rating:
4/5 I’ve had this little vial for at least 2 years, maybe closer to 3, and I always intended to get a full bottle but never got around to it. I think I have to push it closer to the top of the list now that I’ve tried it out again. I don’t know where I’d ever wear it – my slinking around days are well and truly over – but I’m sure I could find a use for it.

Day 11!

6 comments:

  1. Not tried this but do like Madame X. Haha, slinking around days are never over ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Madame X too. That's another one on my "full bottle eventually" list.

      Delete
  2. I love this one and I have a bottle. Totally agree it's very Film noir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? It just makes me think of all those black and white 40s movies. And now I want to watch them all....

      Delete
  3. This sounds interesting! I LOVE resins! But musk is a difficult note for me. I love the musk in my vintage Bal à Versailles (that IS sex in a bottle, and I love it even if I am asexual) and then there are musks that I just want to scrub off. So I usually avoid musk heavy scents...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely heavy on the musk, but I find sometimes the musk overpowers and I didn't have that happen with this one.

      Delete