Friday, January 4, 2013

Lace Draped Spectre - Solstice Scents


Details:
Lace Draped Spectre
Fall Collection
Solstice Scents

Notes:
A hauntingly feminine blend of Madagascar Vanilla, Baby's Breath, Pink Carnation and a hint of Green Pepper Essential Oil. The scent of an elegantly perfumed ivory lace shroud adorning the fleeting image of a mysterious visitor. Soft vanilla accentuated with a hint of spice and creamy floral. 

When I was a kid my mum used to have carnations growing along the edge of the front lawn under the lounge room window, and there were so many of them that she was always cutting bunches and putting them in vases around the house. This is what this perfume immediately makes me think of. That smell of carnation reminds me so strongly of my childhood - an old-fashioned, pretty floral.

This perfume has a fair bit of throw and is quite strong when first applied. Vanilla comes out in the dry down, but that carnation still dominates. I can very barely smell the green pepper, just catching a whiff of something sharp every now and then. Even after drying down, Lace Draped Spectre remained quite potent for a good couple of hours.

Rating: 
4/5 This perfume is beautiful and feminine, with a creamy note I love.

Day 4!

Update: I decided to buy this in a full size Burnishing Glace Mist instead of a perfume oil, and now I can definitely smell the pepper. I still love it, but it's definitely more spicy in the mist than it was in my oil sample. And the sillage and lasting power of the mist is awesome! 

13 comments:

  1. This sounds gorgeous! Want!

    (I knew I shouldn't have subscribed to this blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely - I ordered a Burnishing Glace (moisturising body mist) in this scent, can't wait for it to get here!

      Delete
    2. That sounds lovely! I want that too!

      Delete
  2. I barely know what real carnations smell like. But I do like it in perfumes. I can very much see myself wearing this perfume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum grew tons of them for years and that was back in the days when flowers smelled like flowers, so our house always smelled of them. :-)

      Delete
  3. Sounds nice! Very classic! I don´t know yet if I like carnations, but I think I will... I have a sample of Incendere by Alkemia to try any day now, so I´ll know then... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carnation is quite a sharp floral, definitely not one of the girly girl ones.

      I haven't heard of that Alkemia one - I'll be interested to hear what you think of it!

      Delete
  4. I have an odd relationship with this scent, and carnation in particular. It has a very haunting, melancholy aura about it that is quite beautiful, but sort of sad. Very atmospheric though, so I love and appreciate the feelings it evokes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get where the melancholy would come from, I suppose I just don't feel that because carnation is a pleasant-memory smell for me. It's really lovely. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love carnation in perfumes! I have this one and it reminds me Silver Carnation from Possets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people have mentioned Silver Carnation to me in the last few days! I haven't tried that one - I haven't bought any Possets for a couple of years because I found that their vials tended to leak and it annoyed me. I think it's time to give them another go. :-)

      Delete
  6. Adore it! One of my all time favourites from SS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just smothered myself in the Burnishing Glace after comparing it to Possets' Silver Carnations. So strong! But I love it so much. :-)

      Delete