Friday, February 8, 2013

Luminaria - Possets Perfume

Details: 
Luminaria 
Yule 2012 - Dark Revels
Possets Perfume

Notes: 
No idea. I can't find the original description. Mint, vanilla, something-something...

On the first sniff of this on skin there’s a rush of cold air, like that iciness you get in extra strong mints. It’s odd and a bit startling. It’s very fleeting – I could almost convince myself I imagined it – and then I’m left with a creamy, cakey scent with a touch of mint. The dry down is a slightly smokey vanilla, like buttercream icing that’s heavy on good vanilla extract. The kind of vanilla that Ina Garten would use. This perfume didn’t have much throw on me, and faded a lot within a couple of hours. I’m undecided about whether or not I like it. I certainly don’t hate it, and it’s interesting enough that I kept sniffing my wrist all the time, but it wasn’t what I expected. For some reason I imagined in my head that this would be more like BPAL’s Snow White and it’s not at all. I remember snow was mentioned in the description, but I don't get anything like that other than that weird cold rush at the very beginning, just a warm gourmand perfume. Oh well, I have a full bottle so I can keep trying it to my heart’s content until I make a decision one way or the other. 

Rating: 
Undecided.

Day 39!

14 comments:

  1. I got that too but it hasn't arrive yet. Can't wait to try it. I love cold vanilla scents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm interested to hear what you think of it. I still can't decide! I haven't gotten around to putting it away yet so every time I walk past my bookshelf I pick it up and sniff it again. If nothing else, it's intriguing!

      Delete
    2. By the way here is the original description:
      "Every year in my neighborhood, we get together and put paper bags on our front lawns and light candles in them. It sounds dull but it is actually one of the prettiest most heartbreakingly tender parts of the year. It is called Luminaria, and it somehow manages to fall on the coldest night in December! This year we are going to the Observatory after the lighting for hot chocolate and carolling. And yes, it really is that good, heartfelt, and warm against the cold. You feel like the magic will go on forever, that it is the winter's first attempt to keep the ideal alive until spring, the leap into a land of: no cares, of giving, lights and warmth."

      Delete
    3. Ah, yes - that was the only description I could find but it said nothing about the notes! The description on the site this year was something about 'mint-kissed vanilla, etc...'.

      Delete
    4. I didn't notice that it was different this year. I will definitely post a review when I receive it! Did you see her new Valentine scents? Some of them sound so interesting!

      Delete
    5. I did see the Valentines but the only one that really jumped out at me enough to buy a full bottle was Jack and Jackie, and I didn't think it was worth doing an order just for that. Probably just as well - I do NOT need more perfume just at the moment! Are you going to get any of them, Amanda?

      Delete
    6. I am not going to buy anything until the Carnaval Diabolique comes back! I am interested in some of her red musk blends the most.
      Jack and Jackie sounds interesting except from the tea note which can be overpowering on me.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like something I might enjoy! Although I´m generally not a fan of mint, just a hint of it in this combo sounds quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mint is never very strong, and after the first couple of minutes it is very much in the background. Just gives it a bit of a kick. :-)

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean about not being sure about a perfume, but being so intrigued by it that you can't stop sniffing your wrists! I hope this one ends up working in your favor since you have a full size :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try it a couple more times and I'm still undecided I'll put it away and age it for a few months and see what I think of it when the cold weather comes around (for us on the bottom of the globe).

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm coming around to it the more I sniff it.

      Delete