Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bar Sinister - Possets Perfume



Details: 
Bar Sinister
Possets Perfume

Notes: 
Green Bourbon vanilla extract, sweetbriar, a powerful green musk, and a very highly refined leather, a background of labdenum, and a high and intoxicating silk accord. If you were born to gentry, you might have a stripe running from right to left on which you would have some heraldic figure. That is if you were legitimate. if you were the love child of a powerful man, you might  have a coat of arms with the bar running from left to right and the same figures on it to show who your father was and why you were powerful. This wasn't always granted, but often enough to have the bar sinister be a feature in heraldry. All of the elements of illicit love at play here. Sultry sultry sultry.

In the vial and applied wet, this is a masculine vanilla, kind of boozy and musky, and there's a sharp green note as well. There is a resin note from the labdanum that is thankfully not overpowering - resin can amp on me sometimes and give me a bit of a headache. It just stays in the background warming up the scent and making it all manly mannish. Leather comes out more in the drydown, and the combination of that with the vanilla made this one compulsively sniffable for me. The whole time I was wearing this I was: *sniff sniff* "Mmmmm!" *sniff sniff* Mmmmm! I think this would do nicely with a smokey note too - I'm going to try layering it with something like Alkemia's Smoke & Mirrors once the heatwave is over (if it's ever over - waaaah!), and see what happens.

Sillage is medium - it doesn't throw itself around the room, but it's definitely there. It lasted a long time on me - upwards of 8 hours. And let me tell you, I enjoyed those 8+ hours immensely. *sniff sniff* "Mmmmm!" If I passed a guy in the street wearing this, I'd probably follow him home.

Rating:
5/5 Definitely a future full bottle purchase.

Day 68!


7 comments:

  1. Yay! A 5/5 scent!! I love this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems I really have to sample this one! Layering with Smoke & Mirrors is always awesome! Right now I´m wearing Gaea (ferns, lichen, loam, decay, also Alkemia) layered with S&M and it is such a hit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S&M is one of the best smokey perfumes I've ever tried. I think I have to buy a full size just so I have an excuse to also get some more samples from the long, long list of Alkemia perfumes I want to test. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Sampling Alkemia scents is one of the great pleasures in this world! ;)

      Delete
  3. I like S&M in bottle but not on my skin. This one sounds so good though, I wish we had orderd this one from Possets when we made our order. I'm looking for a good boozy smelly:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds gorgeous, might pop this on my list too! :)

    ReplyDelete