Sunday, April 14, 2013

Catch Up/Round Up 2


Well, dramas are still drama-ing so yet again I'm forced to do a catch up post as I'm testing but struggling to keep up with writing the actual reviews. I hope to get all this sorted and get back on track very soon - I don't want to lose my momentum entirely. :-/

Solstice Scents Violet Mallow: Dark chocolate, violet, violet leaf and vanilla absolute. 
I'm undecided on this one - I've worn it a few times but I can't work out whether I like it or not. The violet is strong at first and it smells very floral. Once applied and it starts to dry down the chocolate and vanilla come out - it's essentially a floral gourmand, but it's very rich and quite strong. Lasted quite a while - about 6 hours before I felt I had to reapply. 3/5

Alchemic Muse Cloud Nine:  Victorian lilac, fresh cream, white raspberry, sweet jasmine, white rose, white violet, cherry heliotrope.
This is a Spring limited edition, but mine is from last year's Spring collection. It's a gentle floral, with the rose quite dominant on the skin for a little while. There's a zingy green note in it, and once the rose settles, the lilac and jasmine come out, making it very much a 'country garden' perfume - I don't really get the food notes at all. I haven't had much luck with heliotrope in general, and particularly in Alchemic Muse perfumes, but here is doesn't seem to come out on me, thankfully. There's nothing remarkable about this perfume, but it's very pretty. Doesn't last long - it was gone in a couple of hours. 3/5

Black Baccara Carnival of Ghosts: Pumpkin, kettle corn, apple, licorice, freshly turned soil. 
Yet another in my large collection of Carnival/Fair perfumes that I buy compulsively but never wear. This one smells like Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs - is that what kettle corn is? On the skin there is a slightly astringent sweetness, like lemon sherbet lollies. This was quite strong at first but didn't last more than a couple of hours. 2/5

Firebird Bath and Body Brown Sugar: Brown sugar, coconut, vanilla bean. 
This is just a very simple burnt sugar scent. If you like the smell of those kinds of perfumes, you'll like this one. It's not bad, but it's definitely not my cup of tea - I don't find sugar scents interesting at all. Lasted about 5 hours or so but sillage is quite low. 2/5

Enchanticals Mysteire Noir: Blood orange, raspberry, dark chocolate, black labdanum, vanilla.
Fruity top notes, once applied the chocolate comes out but the fruit stays around and it's too much for me. This perfume is similar to Alize, except that one is more chocolate and this one is more fruit. Lasted quite a long time - I put it on at night and could still smell it on my wrist the next morning. 2/5

Deep Midnight Perfumes Charis: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk. 
This starts off as a boozy vanilla but goes dusty on me within minutes and stays that way. It was gone entirely within a couple of hours.I don't know what happened but I tried it a couple of times and the same thing happened - something in it just doesn't work on my skin at all. 1/5

Twyla Perfumes Gun Street Girl: Bourbon vanilla, tobacco absolute, musk, leather accord, Russian rose absolute, blackcurrant, green cognac.
Another Twyla winner for me - I adored this one. It's a boozy, smokey, leathery, masculine vanilla with a dab of soft rose. This is one of her newer formulas and the lasting power has definitely improved - sillage was medium and I got about 6 hours before reapplying just because I wanted to keep smelling it. Gorgeous, definite full bottle. 5/5

Days 98-104!

8 comments:

  1. That Twyla scents sounds nice, despite the rose... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you could tolerate any rose at all, you might like it. It's quite masculine and deep, not the least bit girly.

      Delete
  2. Gun Street Girl sounds gorgeous! I need to have a shower and try sniffing some of the sniffies you sent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unf, GSG is my new current favourite. I'm busting to just shell out for a full bottle but I've made so many perfume purchases in the last couple of months so I need to wait at least a few weeks... maybe...

      Delete
  3. Oh my god oh my god! Where have I been the last 104 days!! Evening = sorted = reading through all posts :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabine! You've got a lot of catching up to do. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I have to say Gun Street Girl might actually inspire me to give Twyla another chance. It has me intrigued! I like the violet mallow from SS even though I'm not a fan of violet in general. Charis for me is pretty but nothing fascinating. Mysteire Noir was nice in the vial, but the dry down was again not me. I wonder if they use a fixative. I don't have the firebird or alchemical muse scents. I think out of this bunch I like Black Baccara's Carnival of Ghosts the best, but it's not my favorite in her scent line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the leather note in GSG that makes it work so well for me - I am just obsessed with it. It reminds me a lot of something from the early 90s, but I can't for the life of me think what it is and it's driving me nuts!

      Delete