Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Snake Oil - Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab


Details: 
Snake Oil
Ars Amatoria
Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Notes:
By far our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesion oils sugared with vanilla. 

It's been a long time since I wore some of my classic favourites, so I dragged a couple out for a run around the block, starting with Snake Oil. It's no surprise this is BPAL's most popular perfume - it's awesome. It's one of the few I ever get asked about when I wear it. My bottle is from December 2009, so it's aged a bit and I can't remember what new Snake Oil smells like. I have been intending to get a back up bottle sometime, but their shipping is so ridiculous (both cost and length of time) that I only order from them once or twice a year.

Anyway, Snake Oil is a sweet incensey perfume, very deep and sexy. I sent a sample to Nadja who said it reminded her of something else but she couldn't think what, and I've been having that same problem for years. It reminds me of one of those headkicking orientals from the 80s - like Shalimar or Opium, but it's neither of those. Damned if I can figure it out. The sillage on this is high - it's definitely not one for work if you sit in close proximity to others. Lasting power is excellent too. I put it on in the early morning and could still smell it the next day when I got up.

This is one perfume that I think everyone should try - you might hate it, but you might just fall in love.

Rating: 
5/5

Day 125!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it really reminds me of some spicy oriental of some kind... I wasn't around until the end of the 80s so I can't remember the orientals of that decade, but I have sniffed quite a lot of current formulations of them in shops. I'll wear Snake Oil and go for a sniffing tour in the perfumeries in town some day soon and report back if I find what it smells like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have a lot of catching up to do on reviews!
    I do like this one and I love deeper oriental spicy notes, but about after an hour if I keep my wrist by my face, my face starts to itch. It sometimes happens with random scents on occasion.

    ReplyDelete